Saturday, September 15, 2012

Monastery of St. Irene of Chrysovalantou, Queens

Monastery of St. Irene of Chrysovalantou is a greek orthodox christian church and monastery in Astoria, Queens. The present church building was built in 1972. Since 1990, the church has been the site of a proclaimed miracle - a weeping icon of St. Irene. Also the purported hand of St. Irene Chrysovalantou is currently preserved here. Read more about Monastery of St. Irene of Chrysovalantou, Queens

Immaculate Conception Church, Jamaica, Queens

Immaculate Conception Church, Jamaica, Queens
In 1923 Bishop Thomas E. Molloy of the Brooklyn Diocese invited the Passionists to establish a new parish in Jamaica, Queens. On July 5, 1924 the parish of the Immaculate Conception was formally organized when founding pastor, Father Chrysostom Smith, C.P. celebrated the first Mass in the library of the Degnon mansion. A small temporary framed church was erected on the grounds and the first public Mass was celebrated on November 9, 1924. Read more about Immaculate Conception Church, Jamaica, Queens

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Meseritz Sinagogue, Manhattan

Meseritz Shul, AKA Edath Lei'Isroel Ansche Meseritz, is a 1910 Orthodox synagogue on New York city's Lower East Side. It was built by a congregation established in 1888 consisting of immigrants from Mińôdzyrzec Podlaski (Mesritch, Poland). The synagogue is located at 415 East 6th Street. Pesach Ackerman has served as Rabbi since 1969. The synagogue is unusual in being a very small, urban congregation on a narrow lot that has an extremely beautiful neo-classical facade, and is the last operating "tenement synagogue" in New York City's East Village. Read more about Meseritz Sinagogue, Manhattan

Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew, Manhattan

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew is the oldest Lutheran congregation in North America. The congregation belongs to the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Since 2006, the congregation has been located at the Cornerstone Center, at 178 Bennett Avenue. The congregation has been known by different names, only acquiring the name St. Matthew in 1822 and using it exclusively in 1838. The congregation was founded 1643 by Dutch Lutherans in New Amsterdam but the church was not chartered until December 6, 1664. Read more about Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew, Manhattan

St. Augustine's Church, Manhattan

St. Augustine's Church at 290 Henry Street between Montgomery and Jackson Streets in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1827-29 as the All Saints' Free Church, and was constructed out of Manhattan schist. The design – a Georgian structure with Gothic windows – is credited to John Heath, and includes a double pediment and a projecting tower. The church was enlarged in 1848 with the addition of a sanctuary and a chancel. Read more about St. Augustine's Church, Manhattan