Sunday, December 9, 2012
St. Nektarios Church is a greek orthodox christian church located at Bailey ave. in the Kingsbridge Heights neighbourhood of The Bronx borough of New York City. St. Nektarios, born Nektarios Kephalas (1846-1920) is a latter-day saint, recognized by Constantinople in 1961. The church building is a former private house, built in the end of 19th century as the Second Empire style house. Read more about St. Nektarios Greek Orthodox Church, The Bronx
Blue Cliff Monastery is a 80-acre (0.32 km2) Buddhist monastery located in Pine Bush, New York. It was founded in May 2007 by monastic and lay practitioners from Plum Village in France. The monastery is under the direction of Thich Nhat Hanh's Order of Interbeing in the Vietnamese Zen tradition. The monastery is located in the lush green Hudson Valley of New York. Inside the property there are two ponds and a creek, and out of its 80 acres 65 are forest. Visitors are welcome to practice mindfulness with the fourfold community of monks, nuns, laymen and laywomen. read more about Blue Cliff buddhist monastery in Pine Bush, NY
Kadampa Meditation Center New York is the site of the resplendent US Kadampa World Peace Temple. It is located amid 82 acres of lush woodland in the colorful Upper Delaware River Valley. Secluded walking trails, meditation spots, a creek-fed pond, and abundant wildlife surround the Temple, inviting visitors to connect with pure, natural surroundings. Kadampa Meditation Center is an international spiritual community open year-round for tours and visits. it's rich program of Modern Buddhism includes workshops, classes, special events, prayer services, and group and individual retreats. Read more about Kadampa Meditation Center in Glen Spey, NY
Saturday, December 8, 2012
Mahayana Temple (Chinese: 大乘寺;; pinyin: Da Cheng Si) is a Chinese Buddhist temple located within a forest in South Cairo, N.Y.. It is the retreat of the Eastern States Buddhist Temple of America, Inc. The retreat temple contain the Grand Buddha Hall, the Kuan Yin Hall, the 500 Arhat Hall, a six storied pagoda, and Earth Store Bodhisattva Hall as well as a three-unit temple dedicated to the spirits of the land. Read more about. Read more about Mahayana Retreat Temple in Leeds, NY
Sunday, December 2, 2012
Chuang Yen Monastery (Chinese: 莊嚴寺; pinyin: Zhuāngyán Sì; literally "solemn monastery") is a Pure Land buddhist monastery in Carmel, New York. The monastery was built and is maintained by the Buddhist Association of the United States on land donated by C. T. Shen. His autobiography, My Memoir is published by The Institute for Advanced Studies of World Religions and is distributed free at the monastery. The monastery grounds contain several prayer halls, dormitories, a dining hall, a memorial area, and a library. Read more about Chuang Yen monastery.
Saturday, September 15, 2012
Monastery of St. Irene of Chrysovalantou is a greek orthodox christian church and monastery in Astoria, Queens. The present church building was built in 1972. Since 1990, the church has been the site of a proclaimed miracle - a weeping icon of St. Irene. Also the purported hand of St. Irene Chrysovalantou is currently preserved here. Read more about Monastery of St. Irene of Chrysovalantou, Queens
In 1923 Bishop Thomas E. Molloy of the Brooklyn Diocese invited the Passionists to establish a new parish in Jamaica, Queens. On July 5, 1924 the parish of the Immaculate Conception was formally organized when founding pastor, Father Chrysostom Smith, C.P. celebrated the first Mass in the library of the Degnon mansion. A small temporary framed church was erected on the grounds and the first public Mass was celebrated on November 9, 1924. Read more about Immaculate Conception Church, Jamaica, Queens
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Meseritz Shul, AKA Edath Lei'Isroel Ansche Meseritz, is a 1910 Orthodox synagogue on New York city's Lower East Side. It was built by a congregation established in 1888 consisting of immigrants from Międzyrzec Podlaski (Mesritch, Poland). The synagogue is located at 415 East 6th Street. Pesach Ackerman has served as Rabbi since 1969. The synagogue is unusual in being a very small, urban congregation on a narrow lot that has an extremely beautiful neo-classical facade, and is the last operating "tenement synagogue" in New York City's East Village. Read more about Meseritz Sinagogue, Manhattan
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew is the oldest Lutheran congregation in North America. The congregation belongs to the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Since 2006, the congregation has been located at the Cornerstone Center, at 178 Bennett Avenue. The congregation has been known by different names, only acquiring the name St. Matthew in 1822 and using it exclusively in 1838. The congregation was founded 1643 by Dutch Lutherans in New Amsterdam but the church was not chartered until December 6, 1664. Read more about Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew, Manhattan
St. Augustine's Church at 290 Henry Street between Montgomery and Jackson Streets in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1827-29 as the All Saints' Free Church, and was constructed out of Manhattan schist. The design – a Georgian structure with Gothic windows – is credited to John Heath, and includes a double pediment and a projecting tower. The church was enlarged in 1848 with the addition of a sanctuary and a chancel. Read more about St. Augustine's Church, Manhattan
Sunday, July 1, 2012
Immaculate Conception Church is Roman Catholic christian church located at 29th strit in Astoria, Queens. The first congregation mass took place on January 27, 1924 at 2819 Ditmars Avenue, the home of Dr. John J. Dempsey. An increase of worshipers number resulted the hiring of “Offenbacher’s Hall” on Second Avenue to accommodate these rapidly expanding needs and it was here that Immaculate Conception’s first organizational meeting was held on the night of February 6, 1924. The construction of present church building was finished on Christmas 1924. Read more about Immaculate Conception Church, Queens.
Sunday, June 17, 2012
The St. Nicholas of Myra Church is an American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese (ACROD) church dedicated to Saint Nicholas, located at 288 East 10th Street, on the corner of Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, across from Tompkins Square Park. The church was built in 1883 as the Memorial Chapel of St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery, designed in Gothic Revival style by James Renwick, Jr. – who also designed Grace Church and St. Patrick's Cathedral – and W. H. Russell. The chapel was a gift of Rutherford Stuyvesant. Read more about St. Nicholas of Myra Church, Manhattan
Monday, January 2, 2012
The Shrine Church of St. Ann is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Bainbridge Avenue, just north of Gun Hill Road, in the Bronx, New York City. The church and parish school are located in the same building, a common school-above-church design feature of several New York City parishes. It is a red brick multistory Collegiate Gothic structure with Decorated Gothic and Tudor Gothic design elements with terracotta trim over a raised fieldstone basement and entrance breakfront. Read more about St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx
St. Ann's Church is a historic Episcopal church in the South Bronx, New York City. It was built in 1840 and donated by Gouverneur Morris Jr. (1813-1888) as a family memorial. It is a fieldstone building in the Gothic Revival style with a vernacular Greek Revival style tower. The complex includes the stone parish house added in 1916, late-19th century Sunday School and gymnasium building, and a graveyard that includes the Morris family crypt. Among those whose remains are in the graveyard or crypt are Gouverneur Morris (1752–1816), Lewis Morris (1671–1746), and Lewis Morris (1726–1798). Read more about St. Ann's Episcopal Church, The Bronx.
Sunday, December 4, 2011
St. Paul's Chapel, is an Episcopal chapel located at 209 Broadway, between Fulton and Vesey Streets, in lower Manhattan in New York City. It is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan. A chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church, St. Paul's was built on land granted by Queen Anne of Great Britain, and Andrew Gautier served as the master craftsman. Upon completion in 1766, it stood in a field some distance from the growing port city to the south. It was built as a "chapel-of-ease" for parishioners who lived far from the Mother Church. read more...